1500 pre cross flow dhla 40 issues

Banga

Got my single 40 sidedraft Bolger up and running tonight, idles and revs mint but ran into an issue when I took it for a drive. Fine on the flat but died when going up a hill, got home and pulled the floats out and seemed to be way off so adjusted those to approx 15mm with the 7 gram floats I have, and went for another hoon and while it was a little better it still died eventually- died as in completely stalled.

Seems like a fuelling issue to me, could too much fuel pressure cause that? I'm waiting for my regulator to turn up, current electric fuel pump set up was fine on a 32 dfm weber.

I had an issuse with my side drafts running out of gas as well . Fuel pump set up was enough couldn't work it out . Picked Murrays brain from webber spec and found out that my neddle (value) jets where 1.5 which is a pretty standard size in side draft carbs . He machined them out to 2mm for me problem solved better fuel delivery . I might be wrong but from memory that was what it was correct me if im wrong

I had the same issue going up the kaimai ranges on my 1600 with twin 40s uprated to 2.5mm needle and seat also had a restriction in the brass fittings i used upgraded them and its all good.

What pump are you using and where is it located 

Looks to be a Goss universial (was on the car when I bought it) which is meant to flow up to 110L per hour, it's mounted in the engine bay, about a metre of 8 mm fuel line to the carb. 

I'm going to throw on a new fuel filter to eliminate something cheap and then will take a look at the needle after that.

cheers guys.

was the 1600 it was off running a single sidey too? if it was running twins then the jets will be too small when its supplying 2x the cylinders.

if your pump was ok with a downdraft it should be fine with sidey(s), they shouldnt use that much more gas.

does it run fine if you ease off a bit? ie the fuel supply fills the bowl up again, or is it dead for while?

I would pull the carb off and give it a good clean out and tidy up (and note the jets/tubes etc sizes for later!) before chasing more complicated things.

Filter is a good idea but wont be a fix for what currently ails ya

Looks to be a Goss universial (was on the car when I bought it) which is meant to flow up to 110L per hour, it's mounted in the engine bay, about a metre of 8 mm fuel line to the carb. 

I'm going to throw on a new fuel filter to eliminate something cheap and then will take a look at the needle after that.

cheers guys.

try moving the pump to the back most electric pumps are a push pump so they are designed for pressure not vacuum had the same on a customers hq with 350 run out of fuel at full throttle moved the pump to the back solved

• Like 1

was the 1600 it was off running a single sidey too? if it was running twins then the jets will be too small when its supplying 2x the cylinders.

if your pump was ok with a downdraft it should be fine with sidey(s), they shouldnt use that much more gas.

does it run fine if you ease off a bit? ie the fuel supply fills the bowl up again, or is it dead for while?

I would pull the carb off and give it a good clean out and tidy up (and note the jets/tubes etc sizes for later!) before chasing more complicated things.

Filter is a good idea but wont be a fix for what currently ails ya

Yip running a single, came with a crossflow single side draft manifold.

It re-starts pretty easily- seems like it just needs the bowl refilling.

I'll pull it apart tonight and give it a good clean.

Cheers

So I've pulled it apart again, I've got a 1.5 needle in there at the moment. I'm guessing it's a no no to simply drill it out to 2mm and chuck it back in?

My old 32 dfm had a 2mm needle not really comparing apples with apples though.

So decided to take a plunge and drilled the needle to 2mm, improved things slightly so bumped it up to 2.5mm which slightly improved things again but it still dies going up a hill. As soon as it died I turned it off and pulled the top off the carb and its definitely an empty bowl causing the problem.

Next try moving the fuel pump to just off the tank.

• Like 1

I now have a car that goes uphill again, moved pump to the fuel tank outlet and away she goes.

Cheers guys.

Probably need to play with float levels/put the regulator on/go back down to a 2mm needle and seat as its wants to flood now when it coming to a stop.

• Like 1