Neal's VH Valiant Wagon

Threeonthetree

I had a bit of time this weekend so I retreated to the garage, cued the music and got to work on the wheels:

20141220_151627_zps5392aef5.jpg

20141220_163837_zpsf0a0c8e8.jpg

20141221_164445_zps2278f989.jpg

For a quick job I'm content with the final result. The existing wheelnuts on Valerie were damaged, missing washers and cross threaded. Thankfully I kept the wheelnuts that came with the disgusting Cheviot Turbos that were on my HQ. I just need to source some tyres and get them changed over now as the tyres currently on the rims are badly cracked.

Here's how She sits for the time being (That's so slammed etc):

20141219_173216_zps5fb5653d.jpg

While I was with the car this evening I drained the engine oil and was about to change the filter and refill the 265 with new oil.

But then Zebradude and I became carried away with trying to get the bonnet of his 1974 Ford Fairlane 500 open. It was closed, the cable was snapped and even climbing under the car and into the engine bay wouldn't help. So we found a grinder lying on the floor nearby (that's handy) and cut a hole in the bonnet. Long story short, the oil change will get done tomorrow.

• Like 2

Yesterday I collected a new 'Nice Products' (always gets a laugh from me) wheel stud from Davie Holden and went down on Valerie. I mean went down to work on her... ahem.

My goal was to clean out the interior, remove the radiator and replace the wheel stud. I'm rather pleased to say that I got it all done.

The high-tech storage facility has a bit of an issue with lighting at the moment in that it has none. So I set up a floodlight and got to work. This is the right front hub.

20141223_205729_zpsbdb22868.jpg

You can see the broken wheel stud which has since been thrown in the scrap pile. I will also fit some new brake pads while I have the brake calipers opened up. Fingers crossed it should only be the master cylinder that needs replacing in order to restore any sort of braking ability. I'll also repack both front wheel bearings while they're accessible.

The more I delve into this car the more it is apparent that it has been very poorly maintained - no surprises there. For example the transmission cooler was simply hanging in the void between the radiator support and the grille, the ball joints have collapsed many years ago, all of the bushes are either badly worn or non existent, front brake pads are completely worn out etc etc. But I think She'll be pleased that she's finally being repaired properly. The fact that the engine runs strongly is more a credit to the excellent design and rugged reliability of the Valiant six. Here's what came out of the radiator and engine:

20141223_204722_zpsc73befb0.jpg

That dry grass was essentially all that was wedging the transmission cooler in place infront of the radiator.

I've also rewired part of the starter and ignition circuits so now She starts much easier.

Currently using 'choke in a can' (Start ya' Bastard) but will install a manual choke cable for lush starting without having to open the bonnet. Fired it up yesterday too with the rear axle sitting on wooden blocks and the front on bricks.

TU MEKE

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The nosecone has been removed:

20150104_174144_zps072d0613.jpg

Apart from the expected surface rust and the one patch of serious rust which needs welding in the left corner, the structure is sound.

The nosecone will be refitted as it is. It's tidy enough for now.

I also fitted these:

20150104_174117_zps2e46bfb7.jpg

As you can see, there is nothing but air where the brake master cylinder used to reside.

I dropped it off to be re-sleeved and am expecting it to be ready before the end of the week. Then I can finally test the brakes. Or more like test to see which other parts of the braking system are leaking..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...