installing heater core ABOVE the engine.

flyingbrick

Hi all.

As a general rule of thumb does the radiator cap have to be higher than all parts of the cooling system?

Its a draft question but where I want to mount my heater is about 6" higher than where the old core sat... I'm getting paranoid that it might not be strong enough to push water up to it or airlock (never understood the concept to be honest) or something.

Anyone keen to lend helpful/unhelpful advice Go

What if I had my inlet and outlet at the top of the core so air would be pushed into the out hose?

I guess I don't understand how much pressure the water pump has to force water uphill

I could throw a metal shroder (whatever) valve into top of core.. Push pin to evacuate air while motors running?

if you pressure/vacuum fill the cooling system then its not normally an issue, an air lock is when you cant get the air out of the cooling system, it gets trapped at the highest point. air is compressible so even when the cooling system gets hot and expands the air stays where it is. this is an issue as it interrupts the flow of coolant. making hot spots in the system where coolant doesn't flow so it sits in the same spot and boils = very bad in every kind of way.

you can get bleeding systems that either pressurize the system or vacuums the system and you fill it using the suction created by the vacuum these work very well , you do need a compressor to use such tools  and a little bit of know how.

bnt sell vacuum bleeders as does most auto parts places. I personally have one cause I have a heater tap that is higher than my radiator. I would recommend them they save a lot of time but you do need a compressor to use it

• Like 1

big fan of vac bleeders. 

only prob i can see is if you don't have  your filler at the highest point is every time you check your water it'll chooch the 'head' out of there?

also this. TBH i would just relocate the filler to the highest point. Then you dont have to fuck around with everything else.

• Like 1

Just fill coolant, then pull one hose from core a little bit to let the air out, refit hose and job is done.

I have to do this to my samurai coz the auto choke works on coolant and the carb is higher than the rad cap

• Like 1

Use one of the taps that are in the front of an MR2 that you normally use to bleed the heater circuit with... Can run them inline with rubber hoses about the same diameter as most heater pipes.

I used to have airlocks at the back of my engine but fitted one of these into the highest rear pipe and now it's fine.

• Like 2