RX3 PP's 1974 Rx3 Coupe

RX3 PP

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've just sold my Rx7 race car as it was just to expensive to race, so the wife said sell it and buy a car you can use more frequently, and so I started looking around for an Rx7 series 1 or 2. I had 20k to play with, I nearly brought a series 1 Seven but the owner had it in the shop and i could'nt view it, so I waited then whilst looking at trademe found this Rx3 coupe, so i decided this is me, sight unseen but viewed by a buddy, I knew it was pretty straight. Yeah it was a gamble but at the end of the day, how often do genuine Rx3 coupes came up for sale. So after buying and having lots of issues trying to transport this car, I bit the bullet and a mate helped me recover it from above taupo, It was a long trip from Christchurch. Finally we returned home and then when i got up the next day to have a good look at the car, well thats when it got very strange! 

• Like 3

Well more than strange, as I was sifting through the car and bits n pieces I opened the glovebox, and no I didn't find a kilo of crack... But I did find a 4 page letter on how to start this thing up and how to use the immobiliser, after reading and getting to the end of page 4, it was signed by a guy I will call "mr x". Strangely enough I personally knew a guy called "mr x". So after a quick call to "mr x" of whom I was going to get to paint the coupe, and explained the letter, the penny had dropped, turns out his brother used to to own it and also his best mate, "mr x" had already painted this car twice before years ago, and I rebuilt an engine for this back about 15 years ago. Talk about a small world!

• Like 5

So I get hold of my cousin whom is a panel beater by trade, I needed to know whether this is a fine grape or a sour lemon, so after a good look over it, my cousin suggested to me that the car is very straight and mint, which helped me justify the purchase and yeah the gamble of it. So I tried connecting the battery and the engine turns over lol, swap the wires over on the starter motor, hay presto, problem fixed, I got a local sparky bud in to help me and he found about 6 issues and resolved them all within 2 hours, rewired the power to dizzy and we got engine running. I'm not that keen on a pp on the road but for now it will do until I can port and built a nice secondary bridgeport.

• Like 1

So now it's time for all the trim and chrome to back on, bumpers, grill, lights, etc. Once I get the car back home it's time to put the interior in which I'm really excited about as I've found most old school rotors have race seats which personally I feel is just not right, my car came with momo seats but they were the first thing out the door, but hey, everyone likes different things so either way is just an opinion. So the new interior came out of a genuine NZ Rx3 savanna coupe and even has the original radio and facia plate, steering wheel etc. I must admit I do prefer black but I think the tan will look very sweet once in.

• Like 1