D1RTY6's 1980 Rx7 Rice Rocket

D1RTY6

That looks like a Savanna based on the chrome rear number plate lights and the twin chrome piping on the dash/door cards. poke your head under the front guards and see if its had fender mirrors shaved and/or 3 holes where the guard badges would be filled in (behind front wheels)

EDIT: shoulda just car jammed it, which I just did, yeah it will be a savanna.

That looks like a Savanna based on the chrome rear number plate lights and the twin chrome piping on the dash/door cards. poke your head under the front guards and see if its had fender mirrors shaved and/or 3 holes where the guard badges would be filled in (behind front wheels)

Forgive my ignorance but if it does turn out to be a Savanna what does that mean, is it just a naming convention like Cedric/Gloria?

• Like 1

No need to ask for forgiveness. Yeah its a naming thing, JDM spec Rx-7s were Savanna Rx-7s, the rest of the world just got the straight Mazda Rx7.  

The difference is that the Savannas were a little bit flasher/had some differences such as:

- Fender Mirrors,

- 'Savanna Rx-7' badges on the front guards which have 3 pins on them rather than 2 that are on standard 'Mazda Rx-7' badges

- Chrome rear number plate lights, rest were just black

- see the two stripes above the inner door handles on the door cards, thats the twin chrome piping, it runs across the bottom of the dash, you can see it in your pics     either side of the centre console, it will also be on the 3/4 panels either side of the rear seats, this was a savanna interior thing.

Theres something else they have but I can't remember. anyway I carjammed your plate, it was imported from Japan in 1990, so it will be.

also looks like you have series 3 front seats, wait for Ed to say he wants them or something :P

• Like 1

No need to ask for forgiveness. Yeah its a naming thing, JDM spec Rx-7s were Savanna Rx-7s, the rest of the world just got the straight Mazda Rx7.  

The difference is that the Savannas were a little bit flasher/had some differences such as:

- Fender Mirrors,

- 'Savanna Rx-7' badges on the front guards which have 3 pins on them rather than 2 that are on standard 'Mazda Rx-7' badges

- Chrome rear number plate lights, rest were just black

- see the two stripes above the inner door handles on the door cards, thats the twin chrome piping, it runs across the bottom of the dash, you can see it in your pics     either side of the centre console, it will also be on the 3/4 panels either side of the rear seats, this was a savanna interior thing.

Theres something else they have but I can't remember. anyway I carjammed your plate, it was imported from Japan in 1990, so it will be.

also looks like you have series 3 front seats, wait for Ed to say he wants them or something :P

Sweet, i had planned on fitting some fender mirrors to it anyway, just makes it a little more fitting 

Any thing else you can notice or tell me about it haha?  :-D

Fender mirrors are the unobtainium of early rx7 parts. (If you can find some factory electric ones lemme know...)

Its hard to tell from the pic but looks like the left and right door cards are different maybe??

also those minilites look sweet, as do the hotwires. 

So i read the whole "rotary piner thread", searched google and the forum, and im still not 100% sure on what oil i should be using??

Its in need of its first oil change, currently has unknown oil in it, but was told it was oil for running in...

What would you rotary fiends recommend running?

Edit....Scrap that i just seen Rookies post

SA22Cs are the shit.

Those are FC3S series 4 front seats. I just want/need the spacers from the driver's side one to shore up mine.

It's definitely an import, it has the Jap plate mounts below the rear licence plate.

Also the Jap spec Savanna Rx-7s only had the one badge on the passenger's side. Confused the crap out of me for ages until I realized this was how they came from the factory. I even bought a second badge and everything!

I need to run out to the shed after dinner to check what oil I need to reorder for mine, will post in here once done. I have a 12AT though, so maybe it runs flasher shit than you'll actually need. Still, shouldn't really skimp on oil as far as rotaries are concerned.

Will still be interested to find out what oil your using

Window wipers stopped working this morning  :( and with this cold raining weather i wasnt really comfortable driving it in with no heaters/wipers 

Might have to rebook for Monday unfortunately