Dell'orto's nearly-decade-long-project KE70

I'm blatantly going to copy and paste from Club K because 8+ years of posts will take forever to try and redo.

I'm currently lacking any form of motivation for this car since it last saw the road, and I've now put it into long term storage because I have no space whatsoever for it here.

August 2006 wtf right

Figured I might as well put a thread up here for my toy.

DX%20front.jpg

DX%20rear.jpg

Thats how it looked when I bought it. A young guy in Marton had it and was going to do the good old rotary conversion...basically he managed to wreck the wiring, chop/remove the springs and prime the car before losing interest/ability.

I havent managed to do a heck of alot since acquiring it (buying houses does that!), I've just replaced all the suspension with KYB struts, Cobra coils nolathane etc. I've overhauled the brakes too, as when I bought it the front hoses had been disconnected and dragged along the road :thumbdown: I bought DBA slotted rotors initally, but they're too thick, so I'm going to investigate having them machined slightly so they will, hopefully without going below minimum thickness.

Enginewise, I've slowly been collecting bits and pieces to hopefully get a reasonable amount of poke from a 4K I got for $40 :lol: 60 thou over ACL pistons, a rather hot camgrind from Kiwi Cams...am also going to use some A15 valves for that extra bit of airflow. Have a pair of Dell'orto's on the mantlepiece to hang off the side too.

Initially I was going to build it up as a bit of a nice tidy street car, sticking with period mods, but as I've been procrastinating doing work on it, I've gotten more interested in it being more of a weekend track/strip warrior.

Hopefully I'll actually get some work done on it over the next few months, and who knows - I might actually finish it at some point :lol:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

March 2007

Well kind of an update...last week I purchased this

IMG_0818.jpg

Which just happened to come with an interesting red carry case

IMG_0832.jpg

A KE35 race car to be precise.

The intention is/was to steal the motor and box, and throw it into the sedan, but after going over the car, I'm in two minds whether to keep it complete and use it as a race car, or sell the rolling shell on.

If only I had the space.....

July 2007

Collected a heap of bits for this thing lately:

Ground Control weld on coilover kit from T3, with T3 top hats and RCA's

Custom Cobra springs to lower the rear to a height matching the coilovers (possibly a little too low, we'll see though)

Koni adjustables front and rear.

Scat Oil cooler

Racepro Arrow 1 seats

Pulled the motor from the KE35 down, have found it has Arias forged pistons, shotpeened rods and ARP rodbolts (Maybe, they dont look like the stock ones anyway). Has a CSL cam unfortunately, with 249° @ .050 and .433 lift. Also has terribly glazed bores so I'm now in the process of trying to find a new set of rings to suit.

Still hoping to have it ready for Labour weekend!

Coilovers are built. Still gotta get em powder coated though.

Coilovers.jpg

Gotta love the T3 tophats

• Like 1

September 2007

Still waiting on the car to get back from panel and paint, but I have assembled the motor at least!

camgear.jpg

Adjustable camgear

bottom%20end.jpg

Bottom end assembled with the ARP headstuds

Engine1.jpg

Engine2.jpg

Engine3.jpg

Just gotta tidy up a few bits on the outside, then its all done.

November 2007 Hah, 2 week paintjob, yeah right

Finally got the car back today....looks fantastic. So straight.

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

Also got the coilovers painted the same colour, would have been too much hassle to get them powdercoated in a close enough colour.

November 2007

Thanks guys...its taken a really long time to get done, but its definately worthwhile.

mbus - the colour is called Steel Blue, its from V5 onwards WRX's. The engine parts are chromed, bar the fuel pump blank off plate which I polished.

New pics of the motor

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

December 2007/January 2008

Been busy with wiring lately, have shifted the fusebox under the dash and put the battery in the boot. Also decided that as the paint job was so well done, it'd be a shame to spoil it with wires all through the engine bay so they've all been hidden. Also removed a few excess wires...seeing as they just use one loom for all models there are a few extra bits like speaker wires, emission control stuff etc. Not anymore :D

Fingers crossed I'll have it all done before I go back to work, then the dash can go back in!

Wiring is completed now, fusebox is mounted inbetween the blower unit and heater core.

Have been trying to figure out what I can do for bigger brakes...I know AE86 rotors will bolt onto the hub, but AE86 calipers are silly money. Been looking into AE101 superstrut calipers as the rotor is the same thickness as 86 ones, and only about 10mm bigger overall diameter.

Sometimes I wish I started with a better specced model :lol:

March 2008

So now, fuel pump and line is in....had to gently massage the fuel tank to give it clearance around the pump :lol:

fueltank.jpg

Engine is also in, just gotta try get the wiring for the alternator through the chassis rail to get it away from the extractors...the Cobys from the race car almost hit the floorpan, but they'll do for now...I do plan on making some new ones in the future though.

03_15_enginebay.jpg

Bought a new welder so I can do so :D

welder.jpg

Also got the gearbox in so I could work out how much to mod the gearbox xmember to sit in the correct position. Much swearing was had, getting quite sick of working under axle stands :lol: So that's next weeks project.

Went to install coilovers the other day, and found that early KE70 steering arms are different to later struts :rocket: Never mind, at least the RCA's aren't the wrong type!

Also, are there many kinds of backing plate for the 4K? The one I put in today doesn't quite line up on the 4 bottom bolts, yet the top bolts are fine?

May 2008

Hokay, so more bits acquired....

Have now got a mint MINT dash frame from an AE70. Has cool bits and pieces such as the switch gear for electric mirrors, a door open light and an aircon button :D

Dash top is still away being flocked, apparently the crowd that does the flocking don't normally fix cracks, so he's gonna do that first then cover it...hopefully will be back in a couple of weeks.

Also managed an absolute score on a tacho dash, $15!

65393154_full.jpg

Dunno why the fuel gauge was sitting there, but when I plugged it in it went to zero.

I also now (or will soon) own some sweet sweet wheels for it, 14x7 Work Equip Excels :D :DDSC09767Medium.jpg

the bottom set.

Am also about 1/3 of the way through stripping off underseal, its a bit of an arduous task, even with the knotted wire wheel on the grinder. Mostly due to working under axle stands :x Have also POR15'd the fuel tank, looks approximately 1,000,000 times better. Just need to get a heater or something for the garage so I can actually paint the floorpan too .

August 2008

Ok, so in the end all those rims were 6.5" wide...gay :( But never mind, they were cheap enough and after the wedding I'll be able to get them refurb'd and run sweet sweet mismatched rims.

Yesterday was reasonably exciting partswise, after 2.5 months of waiting my Goodridge fittings for the carbs arrived

goodridge.jpg

Spendy little fcukers, but hey, they'll look the part.

Also finally got my linkage kit so I can run overhead linkages instead of the pull from the front carb setup they currently have.

linkage.jpg

Further adding to the excitement is that one of my auto sparky customers setup my ignition for me, as in my stupidity when I pulled it from the race car I forgot to label wires :weed: so the car is very nearly ready to fire. Just need to get a fuel pressure gauge and make the exhaust and its go time.

Will also try get the T50 in the car next weekend...is going to be a very busy next few months getting it going before the wedding :whip:

So, bought some new rims. Dont really need them, but got offered them and figured they'd be useful some day.

Volk1.jpg

volk2.jpg

14x7 and 14x7.5 Volk Mesh. The other 2 have the centres out being cleaned up, looks like they'd all been spray can'd black :violin:

Also finished fitting central locking today, my one concession to modern car-ness. Takes a bit of fiddling to get the bloody things set up properly!! But at least I'll also have remote central locking once I get the alarm in.

September 2008

Finally got all my stuff back from being powedercoated, only like 2 1/2 months later :violin:

Powdercoating.jpg

The swaybars came out a funny colour though, they're meant to be red, yet they're closer to a light chocolatey brown :Puzzled: Ah well, shit happens I guess. The black bits look freakin sweet at least.

Oh yeah, new suspension is in too...though I need to get some later model hubs before I wind it right down.

Coiloverinleft.jpg

Coiloverinright.jpg

Coiloverinfront.jpg

Thats the highest it'll go in the front :banana1: and on max negative camber too, just for laughs.

The back sits about perfect, for my liking anyway...once its all back together it'll likely sit a smidge lower and with the Equips they'll tuck in pretty nicely

October 2008

Finally got the correct hubs for the coilovers the other week, and wound it down to see how it'd look

slammed.jpg

gotcamber.jpg

low510.jpg

sidelow510.jpg

Havent got any of the interior in yet though, and its shaping up to be a busy month so it might not get done til November :(

December 2008

Right, has been a while but I've finally finished off the underseal!

underseal.jpg

Still drying off as we speak, but I'll give it a couple of days and then I can put the fuel tank, pump, fuel line and brake line back in.

Also have had the dash in for quite some time now, and this is the current state of the interior

newinside.jpg

The plan is to hopefully soon paint the inside floor with silver POR15, then I can put the rest of the interior in. Seat rails have been modded to fit the Racepro brackets, was just a matter of drilling a new hole and making up some shims to sit the brackets evenly.

One day I expect this banjo bolt from 41 to arrive, then I can set up the fuel system!

January 2009

Hmm, only got a pic of the first coat of POR15, but its done

floorpan.jpg

Also finally got the fuel tank in, also been POR15'd (as well as the straps)

tank.jpg

Also finally finished polishing the manifold. I highly recommend you never ever attempt this, what a clown of a job. I spent probably 8 hours in total on it, and its still not what I'd call show quality.

mani1.JPG

mani2.JPG

mani3.JPG

Bolted the freshly cleaned up carbs to the manifold

beforeafter.jpg

Then drilled some holes in the mani for the dowels in the head (werent there before, who uses two bolts to hold on a manifold, honestly) and stuck it on the motor

bay8jan.JPG

Have got everything sitting in there now that will be bolted up when its done, so I can send the last lot of stuff off to the electroplaters. Am trying to find another alternative to the heater tap, my one has got holes in it and it looks pretty ugly. The universal ones we have at work go the wrong way, so am gonna have to get my ass into gear and do a pick a part mission soon!

April 2009

Long time no update...have made probably the biggest investment to date for the project, and bought a bigger garage to house it in :D Current one is roughly 5x3.5m, new chappy that's going in will be 9x6m, so tons more room to play in :D All going to plan it ought to be up by the beginning on June, then I can really get stuck into finishing this car.

I've decided to stick with the U code diff for the time being, until I get the car properly sorted out. I acquired a 4.3 head for it a while back, so threw that in there. I've got to weld some mounts onto it for the rear swaybar, so will get the diffhead rebuilt, new axle bearings and get the housing powdercoated for mega bling factor (Even though its a miniscule diff :lol: )

Also kaveman and TP61 hooked me up with some stainless sill trims from a GL model, so the car will nearly have all the factory option trim :D Got the C pillar trims from them a while back, they really tie in the drip rail and window sill trims.

trim1.jpg

trim2.jpg

May 2009

The garage has been a little delayed due to the crap weather as of late, but they're coming to start on the pad this week!

Some bits have showed up though, the banjo bolt that I have been waiting for 8 months finally showed!

banjo.jpg

All that hassle for a little piece of alloy!

Also got some urethane steering rack bushes from AJPS, I figure that after 26 years the originals are probably a bit poked. Once fitted, i'll have replaced every bush in the car with urethane, w00t

rackbush.jpg

Now my original engine mounts that came with the motor were pretty rough to say the least, and when I showed a local certifier he pretty much laughed. I guess they were made for a race car after all, so weren't considered all that important. I heard of some old guy down south who apparently knows a little bit about K motors, so I asked if he could make some mounts that would be less amusing for certifiers.

I got these last week in the mail.

EngineX.jpg

GearboxX.jpg

Infinitely better made, can't wait for the garage to be built so I can finally finish this thing off!!