Blakes 75' Triumph 2.5PI

BLIZZO

Hey guys Blake here, new to this forum, spend most of my online time on ORE the offroad forum. Well im at uni now but when i first finished school i obtained a triumph 2000 and fell in love with it. Over the next 18 months she got a pretty much full restore. current set up is

-Triumph 2000

- S wheels

- power steering

- manual overdrive box

- 1.5" compressed springs

- new looppile carpets, hoodlining etc

it never officially got back on the road, its still on hold and in my parents garage in Wanganui. Still need to do a few things for a wof, wiring gremlins, rear wheel bearings (might try to find whole axles as i hear the bearings are a mish to replace) and a few other niggly things. Pretty annoyed with the gutlessness of the 2lt too and i have spent a bit of money getting the head reconed so might look at dropping a 2.5 block onto and with a bit of work on it.

Anyway here a some photos, wont put descriptions on all of them as i cbf

100_0024.jpg

so here it was when i got it. looked kinda straight but there was a lot of rust hiding in there. It had one owner from new, who was the manager of the triumph dealership in wanganui

100_0307.jpg

it had taken a good nudge in the rear end so that took a bit of work

100_0310.jpg

100_0025.jpg

100_0312.jpg

silly double skinned guards, both sides were rooted. Panel beater did most of the work as this was before i had any panel skills. he rolled new ones and made a bloody good job of it.

100_0348.jpg

100_0344.jpg

100_0327.jpg

100_0313.jpg

100_0324.jpg

so she slowly got stripped down

011010.jpg

100_0399.jpg

meneve001.jpg

Engine got a birthday. Head was reconditiond. Rest of it was ok. is attached to 5sp manual overdrive box now. Love my handy engine trolley. its now my aunites washing trolley

100_0334.jpg

100_0333.jpg

found an UNCRACKED dash, so all the wood got a birthday

• Like 3

P1000965.jpg

P1000960.jpg

scored a set of 5 S mags with mint tyres and trumpy centre caps for 500, what a gentleman

000_0029.jpg

Now british racing green, sitting at the painters with no springs, looks sick haha

triumf002.jpg

Home now and engine in

351929a8966469972o.jpg

Back from the upholsters, new door cards, hoodlining and carpet. Had to go black in the boot as the didnt have enough of the old brown looppile

These are all as she sits now - 

P1050013.jpg

P1050016.jpg

P1050011.jpg

trumpy.jpg

This ones from at my sisters wedding. Pretty proud of how it now sits and looks. Few annoying things like door lines not lining up and wavy bits in the paint but hey its probably still tidier than when it was new. Would just like more power to make it more fun to drive. Its never going to be original as i have already butchered the TC2000 originality and painted it BRG but would like to keep it british donk. Pondered with putting an injected 3.9 out of a rangie classic or just working a 2.5 to get some decent power. Probably a year away from doing anything more too it, gotta finish uni first. But always happy to hear ideas and what not from you knowledgeable fellows.

Cheers

Blake

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

right so i have given up on the idea of a RV8, i want to keep it very much triumph. I have just aquired a 1974 2500PI for parts thats been parked up in a shed for 15 years. Was working mint when parked up apparently but now wont start. I havent seen it yet but he reckons its the metering unit. Father inlaw is trying to convince me to slap the PI donk in and bolt some 2" SUs onto it but i think i like the idea of the oldschool injection so might try fix it and use a better pump to solve those unreliability issues. The parts car also has a manual overdrive box which is a score. I already have one in the 2000 so if anyone wants it make me an offer. The car will just be getting stored for at least 6 months till i have time and or money to do anything with it so its just all planning at this stage. The other cool thing is that the plates are still live so i might use them rather than mine and fully convert mine to PI spec, get a signwriter to do the vinyl panel and put the badge on and use the PI dash etc. Any comments of recommendations fire away

271874094.jpg

271874209.jpg

271874131.jpg

271874178.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fitting with British Leyland goodness I thought up chuck up a photo of my fiance's mini. She always wanted one as a kid after seeing two cooper S's racing with her old man at the port at nelson. Always wanted a red one in cooper S colours. Her old man brought her this for her what i think was her 15 birthday, it was her first car. Was in pus orange originally. Cute father daughter project over the proceeding years doing it up. Got minilites for her 16th birthday, 1275gt donk when she passed 7th form NCEA etc. Pretty neat little car and she drives it like a mad women. Drove it between havelock and blenhiem everyday for school. Now currently undercover in her old mans treasure chest with lots of other goodies, photo is from when he suprised her last christmas and put a new 1275 in it as the other one did a head gasket. First time she had driven it in years. It will come up to pamly with us when we get out own place / my shed

shayemini.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well im a pretty happy lad, THE BLUE PI RUNS!. The guy i brought it off was being a giant douche and totally reckon the metering unit was stuffed cos he has spent a week trying to get it to go and had put half a tank of fresh gas in it all new plugs and filter etc so stuff him haha. The body itself is really straight with no rust but the boot and bonnet are a bit rusty.

Cheers to Goat on the advice to get it running,  i took all the plugs out, pulled a couple of injectors out and just winded it for about ten minutes until the injectors started squirting nicely and then some. Banged plugs back in a broom away she went. Still only running on 5 but it was running. So drove it off trailer and straight into storage. Got told no conversions till after the weeding but i reckon i might be able to squeeze this one in before :-)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

rightyo, Joe has been hassling me about that of thread updates so i thought id jam something up as i have been getting stuck into the trumpy in the last week. 2000 had officially pissed me off enough so it was time to come out, wanted to give gearbox a birthday at same time so the whole lot was coming out. Had a few of the boys around on saturday (cheers sparkle and prince william duke of cambridge) for some shit yarns, beers, faggot juice and spannering.

As those of you in the know trumpy engines come out the bottom, not the top. So steering rack, cross member and engine member were removed, engine dropped onto a crate and then the car lifted up and engine slid out of the way. Didnt take many photos, too busy with beers. Anyway this was the end result

IMG_1199.jpg

Looks like a damn BMC assemply plant

IMG_1200.jpg

As i had converted the 2000 to power steer and i am putting a non power steer engine it requires a bit of shaggin around. BMCs engineers in all there fine wisdom obviously had a few too many pints at the local and built the power steering mount into the front block plate and only put it on power steer cars. Sooooo... i had to rip off the timing cover, all the timing gears etc and swap over the block plate. This also required a lot of shitty gasket scraping.

IMG_1201.jpg

in somewhat of a vain attempt to keep the oil in the sump and not of the floor I put a new rear main seal in, easy to do while shes in bits

IMG_1205.jpg

Before we pulled the donk out i tried to do a skid and it would just stall, haha shit not even one damn wheel! sparkle decided to make up for it with betty, SKIDS FOR KIDS!

b7457fb3-ff38-4b85-b70e-8c87e3f2bb81.png

The reason the old engine had no clutch was that it had super excessive endfloat, like over 20 thou when service level is 4 to 8 thou, so the clutch just moves the whole crank. WHole the new PI motor had the sump off i checked the endflloat in it and it had 12 thou so ill bang some new thrust washers in while its apart.

IMG_1209.jpg

I scored myself a MOCAL spin on oil filter adapeter with oil hoses and a fancy oil thermostat so that has gone on and you will see another little stainless hose going from the pressure sensor up the the block. This is an aftermarket rocker feed hose to make sure the last two cylinders dont run dry when hauling ass as the usually do (engine is on a but of a tilt).

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Engine in today! Went pretty smoothly considering hangover, still heaps to do with regards to piping etc but hopefuy I'll have a productive day tomorrow and some more updates, I'm loving the ITB's, motherfuckers are just gagging for trumpets! A6A13CAB-068D-4B4F-8D86-749BCD402284.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

sooooo, PI motor is now running, not awesomely but its running. Have just set the timing at idle to dead TDC as manual states, it wants to run nicer at about 8BTDC but ill roll as the manual says and see how it feels on the road. There is no pinking but i am getting some nasty backfires on the overrun. This tells me its a bit lean but when i pull an injector its spraying hard. Also have to spend a good amount of time balancing each of the throttle bodies, to do this easily i need an oldschool air flow meter to hold over them but they dont seem to exist now, only in lucas manuals!

Anyway video for video sake, excuse my little scardey cat moment when it backfires haha. Just waiting for a power steer hose then i can take it for a bit of a road test and try tune it properly.

***pleas excuse the shitty angles at which i was holding my phone***

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Right so I got this bad boy going then all of a sudden it started coughing and farting and then pissing fuel out everywhere from the metering unit. After some research I figured out it would be the rubber fuel diaphram as these perish so I ripped the metering unit to bits and sure enough what should be soft rubber was broken brittle old plastic! E3A6F70A-E471-46FB-BB24-48CD2FB2813C.jpg

So $110 later I have a new viton replacement fuel diaphragm 822D4B71-A667-4DD6-9097-AAF8CBBC7514.jpg

So I put the new diaphram in and then more fuel started pissing out of the metering unit pedestal argghhj! The little drive gear that goes to the metering unit from the dissy drive has two oil type seals, one to keep engine oil from getting into the metering unit and one to keep fuel getting into the crankcase. Between the two is a little tell tale hole so you know if one seal is fucked, anyway fuel was coming out of here so a new oil seal and viton fuel seal and she's as good as gold. All back in now and I think timed up right, timing these things is a bitch. Everything is timed using the hole in the rotor on number 6 injector while no 1 cylinder is at TDC compression stroke. The nigger in the woodpile is that the drive gear is helical so as you mesh it it turns, so timing has to be 1 tooth out in the right way so when it meshes it's right. Will find out tonight if it works or not anyway!

5216FD57-544C-49E5-9A3E-EC9024AC9FF3.jpg

• Like 4

Well it runs and drives!!!! Has quite a miss so I'll throw points and a condenser at it tomorrow and failing that a set of new leads but shit it pulls compared to the 2 litre and feels wayyy tighter on the road with the swaybar fitted. I'm an excited lad

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

well the trumpy has been running mint, took it down south for our wedding at the end of jan and the engine ran really well, although quite low on oil pressure, an oil change with penrite 20w 60 sorted this. From the journey i discovered a few things i wanted to change

It still had the 4.1:1 diff in it, and even with the overdrive box it still didnt have enough legs for my liking, screaming tits off at 100kmph, although it did pop sweet skids with this in. So back to the parts PI in wanganui i went and ripped out the 3.4:1 and ripped out the shitty leather pinion seal and banged a rubber lip seal in. Went to jims workshop last sat and put the diff in, new one went in alot easier than old one came out, blardy stupid brits making the diff part of the rear subframe!

11005663_10152993051030081_38036432_n.jp

While i had the old girl on the hoist i happened to look at the flex bush on the steering coloum, a shitty nolathane UJ pretty mush to reduce cabin noise, it had just about completely broken off, was holding on by about 3mm of nolathane, imagine that breaking on the motorway at 110kmph, so thats one of my 9 lives gone.

Pic for scaryness - 11016692_10152608214202466_1952111508_n.

So i fixed this as adivsed by a guy that races a PI, but im not gunna post on here how i fixed, you can ask me at nats....

Next up was the springs, under advise i had the standard springs compressed, i wouldnt reccomend this to anyway! the became so soft and soggy and shit that i had to get rid of them. So some standard ones were cut 2 coils so they were just captive, bottom arms are now about 2mm off the bumpstops, not as low as they can go but thats not really what im into. still have the rears to do but geeeezus the fronts made a huge difference to the handling!

• Like 6