JasonK's 79 Chev Caprice Hearse

JasonK

So Bought this about a month ago, the guy selling it said it was running but had no drive. So got it home chucked a new filter in the gear box and filled it with oil and now it drives. Rego's on hold, have just gotta do a little bit of rust work and get an idler arm for it and then will go for a wof, then of course slam. hopefully all in time for nats.

093.jpg

091.jpg

094.jpg

It's reasonably tidy and the only thing i've noticed that's missing is the bottom part of the dicky seat. might respray it at some stage but for now just keen to roll it as is

Discuss: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/36715-jasonks-dead-sled/

• 1 month later...
Guest JasonK

Have fixed most of the rust now and 2k primed it and just chucked a quick coat of spray can flat black on it for now as I'm pretty keen to paint the whole car some stage soon.

Took it for a wof the other day only failed on a couple of tyres, a bulb and adlust the rear brakes which i've done now and kitted both cylinders. also pulled out most of the air con stuff today to make some room in the engine bay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JasonK

another pictureless update.

Have got a wof and rego now!

also thanks to Simon I have a functioning heater fan. so just got to get the brackets on the back seat sorted and she'll be ready for nats. unfortunately still going to be 4x4 spec though

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got it all driving again last weekend and cruised around a bit, was definitely the metering rods stuck down in the carb, also chucked a new set of leads on and seemed to be running real well. 

finally remembered to take some pics of the whole car:

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

However I noticed a bit of an intermittent noise kinda like a bolt rattling in a tin can, so checked everything was tight etc but it sounded like it was coming from the gear box so I was thinking cracked flex plate, so pulled the gearbox out tonight and found this:

DSC00823.jpg

pro parts have one listed on trade me so I'll go in and get it tomorrow, Hopefully that"ll be the last of the issues before wagnats! 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

A few weeks back I took the caprice down to levin to get it certed for the bags, only failed on a couple of little things:

• the nylocs on the shock mounts only had about one thread sticking out and needed to have at least 2. 
  • on the top of the shocks I'd used 2 nuts (as it was from factory) but needed to use nylocs instead
  • I needed my air lines clamped every 300mm and they were only clamped where I thought it needed to be to keep it tidy etc 

So nothing major so was pretty stoked about that and it worked out really well as the cert guy was coming up to the swapmeet this weekend so he did the recheck on friday afternoon, so now I've just gotta wait for the cert plate and will be legal again 

• Like 9