Rookie's Alfa GT 1300 Junior

Rookie

I have had this thing a while but have just started working on it again so I thought I would make a post.

It was orginally my Great Grandma's grocery getter and, bless her, she had a bit of an incident involving a concrete post sometime in the mid to late 70's, anyway it go fixed by a reputable shop in Christchurch and she keep driving it untill the mid 90's, when it was parked up in a garage. Anyway, I pulled it out of the shed in 2010, and spent some time working on it to get it going, which I did, and after redoing all of the ball joints in the front end it got a WOF, so I dailyed it for a while until I got the job up here, so it sat idle at Riverside for a while I got my shit together to move it, and once I did it proceeded to sit in the garage for another year due to having some rust in the bottom of the front guards that needed fixing.

The plan was to get it going for the Leadfoot Cruise, but as it transpired it didn't work out, but nevermind, I got the rust cut out of it and then decided that the average paintjob needed to redone.

I digress, but here are a few pictures of how it is progressing.

This is how it looked as my Daily

DSC04063.jpg

In pimer

DSC05687.jpg

In the booth

DSC05690.jpg

After the Basecoat

DSC05694.jpg

And the Clearcoat

DSC05701.jpg

And unmasked

DSC05703.jpg

DSC05705.jpg

After blacking out the guards

DSC05709.jpg

So all in all I'm super stoked with how it came out, especially seeings as I had never even set my eyes on a spray gun before a couple of weeks ago. Now I just need to get it back together.

Discussion

• Like 3

Found this photo of it at Riverside, you can't really see it, but the paint was really quite bad, with multiple spider cracks and flaking paint.

As it turned out when I did the panel work, it was sprayed in enamel when they repaired it, so it was reacting with the original paint in a few places, never mind, a bunch of sanding later and I managed to get rid of it.

Alfa.jpg

• Like 1

Got this thing home on the weekend and put it back together and cleaned out the sanding dust, it still needs more but that'll come. Took it to work today and got it a WOF, so now it's all legal beagle ready for summer. The bonnet still isn't straight, hence the primer but hopefully that'll get done this week!

DSC05711.jpg

DSC05715.jpg

DSC05712.jpg

The interior is much like the rest of the car, tidy but not perfect.

DSC05714.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had a few issues with the steering on this thing, namely it wouldn't, so today I pulled the carbs off so could I acess the steering box, pulled it apart, adjusted the shims, filled it with grease and put it all back together. While under the car I noticed that the lock stops were miles away and it was actually using the chassis as a lock stop, adjusted these and then took it for a drive; MINT! better than it has ever been so I'm stoked.

Also I have painted the bonnet, I just need to flatten it and buff. I was a bit lazy when I swept the booth and got some shit in the paint but it looks pretty mint so I'm happy.

Bring on summer Motoring!

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So, I have had some troubles with flappers and wheel balancing and the likes which you may have followed through my Flapper thread in Tech, anyway I drove this to swap meat and it was mint until you went above 70, at which point a vibration was sent throughout the car. Just before I left it was noticed that the left front flapper was not seated properly, so I swapped that wheel for the spare and carried on home, the vibration was still there.

Also Bizzo broke my interior door handle because he is a fatty/40yo Italian plastic....

Fast forward to now, I took the flappers off and left the BBs in the tyres. This resulted in less vibration when doing 100. It is quite odd, when you hit a bump it is like it takes a few seconds for the BBs to settle back into place, so you get a vibration but then it clears up. So this weekends job is to take the BBs out, put the flappers back on and get them balanced with ordinary wheel weights.

In summary, BBs do work as dynamic balancers, but you need enough of them , and to only drive on smooth roads.

Photo of car dirty than a high class whore:

IMG_20130829_081739_zps12926332.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok so here's the story, I went for a WOF on monday after having the bright idea that taking this in the dual sprints would be a good idea which also involved putting the 1750 in it, unfortunately it didn't get a WOF as the cross member had seperated from the chassis by the steering box, I think what happend was that we broke the spot welds when we putlled the chassis straight, but anyway, monday evening we pulled the motor out.

This week  I set to cleaning the engine bay, the engine bay has always been the worst thing on this car so hopefully it is sweet now. Yesterday I welded the crossmember back in, and prepped the enginebay, slapped some primer on it. Today I finished sanding the primer and masked it up, then I hit it with the same paint that I used on the outside which I reckon looks pretty good, so I am pretty chuffed.

IMG_20140713_115831_zpshkticoy4.jpg

All done.

IMG_20140713_163436_zpspijl9vib.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...