Vinning a car with no VIN number or plates present

Gaz

Yo, I have rereged a car before but it had the old plates which they could ID the car from, it wasn’t an issue and went through fine... this time I have no records apart from a letter from seller saying he sold me the car.

So if I was to buy a car with no number or VIN plates then could I get it revinned?

Have talked to VTNZ & LTSA who don’t want to help unless I bring the car into their branch and they will attempt to find the VIN number for me. Apart from that they say its not going to happen. The LTSA lady told me it would be up to the inspectors discretion if they VIN it or not without old docs but generally they need them.

The car has been reged in NZ before but unsure under what plate, there are not many of these cars in NZ so if anyone has access to previous records this may be an option? Car has body tags and chassis number off tag matches that of body tag. Just missing the VIN tag.

Anyone had experience?, it is the yay or nei on buying a car I have lined up.

Gaz

I had to go to the cop shop and get them to do a no police interest request or some such thing, anyway it just says the the body tag number is not of interest to the police (EG not stolen), and that with your "receipt" you should be fine.

Yeah Vin only came in around 96 and is mainly for imports and all re registered cars since. Since its been rego'd in NZ there will be no dramas. The last one I did had been sitting since the 60's and was somehow in the computer system.

Yeah Vin only came in around 96 and is mainly for imports and all re registered cars since. Since its been rego'd in NZ there will be no dramas. The last one I did had been sitting since the 60's and was somehow in the computer system.

jeez, your lucky. one of my projects still has original plates, but no-one at VTNZ can find record of the vehicle, and it was de-regged in mid-80's. unless someone knows of another way of tracing it, it will have to be re-vinned as scratch built, thus losing classic rego.

jeez, your lucky. one of my projects still has original plates, but no-one at VTNZ can find record of the vehicle, and it was de-regged in mid-80's. unless someone knows of another way of tracing it, it will have to be re-vinned as scratch built, thus losing classic rego.

What kind of car? They can't find a record of the chassis number? Surely you can't register a car scatch built when it isn't.

I just get the cars to a reasonable standard and take them along to AA/Vinz etc never had any problems except sometimes the Police letter thing, last two have been de-reg way before the 80's.

If I came across a problem like you are saying I'd be saying thats not my problem, it yours.

What kind of car? They can't find a record of the chassis number? Surely you can't register a car scatch built when it isn't.

I just get the cars to a reasonable standard and take them along to AA/Vinz etc never had any problems except sometimes the Police letter thing, last two have been de-reg way before the 80's.

If I came across a problem like you are saying I'd be saying thats not my problem, it yours.

55-57 holden ute. no body tag but what appears to be original number plates

to those that claim "but it isn't on Carjam", don't fret, carjam only work if the car was still registered after early to mid-nineties. so if the car was de-reg before then, it most probably isn't in their system.

1969 Mazda 1800

I told them about old cars having no VIN number but they assured me they do, maybe Ill try ringing a diff VTNZ or going in on Sat to talk face to face.

Chassis number does not show anything in carjam, VTNZ, or LTSA records.

Dont know plate number so cant search on that.

Yea he used the year to see what plates were around at that time and trolled carjam?

How can I search carjam without any numbers? This is prob the best option.

Gaz

if its leroyds car its been through many many different owners. traced back to a dude called craig who has the plates for it, he is the original person who got it complete then pulled it apart to rebuild and restore, then went to a few different people then ended up with barry- then to andy- then to leroyd. i txt leroyd with craigs number but he never got any futher.

wont put his number out there since leroyd says hes contacted him already. leroyd said the person was saying they werent craig so duno whats the truth there. craig did alot of work on my hatch early last year and i remember him commenting that he had the plates for the maxda 1800 that barry25 owns as he once owned it, and i dont think he is as shit talker. grab his number off of leroyd as i dont wana get in shit for dishing it out.

Ok, just to clear something Up i have been told in the past

If a Car was De-regged by choice, as in, you should hand in the plates etc, the plates and history of the car is removed from the LTSA system. well at least it used to be,

However, if it fell off the system through lack of rego. it stays in the system.