Help, I have a smokey diesel (and not in a good way)

Bombsquad

Hey lads, got an issue with my daily ute (2.5 non turb mazda bounty)

Its been playing up recently and i have no idea why. It will run fine up until it reaches 2600rpm, after that it pisses out clouds of whitish smoke, looses power and shudders. It doesnt burn oil or use water, and ive drained the fuel tank and changed fuel filter (Cannot find a watertrap if there is one). Anyone got any suggestions??

straight off google

"White smoke occurs mainly during cold starts, when the fuel tends to condense into liquid and does not burn due to cold engine parts. The most common reason for white smoke are in-operative glow plugs low engine compression, a bad injector spray pattern, late injection timing or injection pump problems."

Start with ya glow plugs?

when its hot or cold??

if all the time i reckon your pump has incorrect timing .

what year?? i know that some pumps has electronic timing and if the ecu is knackered or the fuse has blown for some reason/ been taken out to power the radio the pump wont advance and will run fine till higher revs where it blows copious amounts of white smoke and sounds like its misfiring

check ya filters could be that diesel bug it blocks up ya fuel system restricting fuel and makes it smokey there is a topic few down from this :)

edit: just saw you have changed these when ya drained was it all clear no sign of the bug coz if there was it could be all up ya fuel lines

Yes it occured to me after i posted that I should have said a time that it does it, and it happens... whenever the fuck it feels like it??

Yes seems completely random, I drove from Kawarau to hams the other night and had no issues til I got to karapiro, then drove back the next morning and it fucked out at the Mamakus but was fine again from rotorua to kawarau!!?? Never has issues starting, always fires up first crank whether hot or cold. Its a Uf model so has mech injection not computer, and I have looked up diesel bug and it doesnt seem to be this.

Have just drained fuel system again however and switched diesel from Caltex to "Z" so will see if this makes any difference

This may or may not be of any help to you, but I've heard Bountys of that era have a straining gauze under the banjo bolt inlet to the injector pump. This gauze likes to get blocked up and is often overlooked/not aware of its presence.

Havn't come across it personally but hear it is fairly common.