Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

Yeah- I like it when manufacturers seem to have thought about possible tinkering and swaps etc. If only they thought more about this one!

Time- we only have cat to worry about. And he is a little shit ( a lovable shit) so not much worrying there. Both hannah and I have no desire for kidlings/offspring so its just pushbikes, running and cars for us. Oh.. and beer. and coffee. and cats.

The cheque- somehow I had convinced enough at the nats that I was a likeable chap and I won a prize. (I drugged them all....)

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I'm guilty of not following your thread for a while Alex. Probably because your car was pretty much finished, and I got Jelous seeing your posts of the sweet adventures/places you'd taken it.

Next minute, I stop by for a peek while home sick off work, and the whole game has changed!

I don't really know jack shit about Mazda V6's. (Except that they came factory fitted to mazdas)

However, I do know that there was a 2.3litre V6 eunos 500 Millercycle. Which were fitted with a spank-tacular IHI lysholm screw supercharger. (Basicly a japanese version of the lysholm 1200ax supercharger)

Now, to me the whole miller cycle cam timing buzz is a bit lame. But you should definately keep an open mind to one of the pumps finding a way onto your engine. If not now, then some time in the future. You'd still enjoy the wallet caressing fuel economy you seek, but with a mash of the right hoof, you'd lay waste to all and sundry who fancied their chances.

That is all.................

Cheers Bart. A few mx6 and probe guys have talked about the miller engine chargers. But sadly the miller cycle engine is a 90degree v6 to make room for the charger to fit in between the banks and clear the low bonnets.

But maybe it can be sat up above?

I can so see myself getting bored again in the future and ending up going forced induction on the v6. Have to pull finger and get the fucker in there yet.

I reckon I will have to go down the adaptor plate route to mate box to block. Was going to use 16mm so a bit of meat for the bolts. It's the thickness usually used by the mx5 peeps doing this conversion.

What ever thickness I go I will have to add behind flywheel to suit. Plus 8mm as the rx7 ring gear in relation to stater pinion is 8mm less.

So that would be a 24mm spacer between crank and flywheel. Maybe I go to 12mm plate and add threaded steel plugs for the bolts. I can machine starter body down about 3mm too.

So much thinking...I should be doing. But it's cold outside, the fire is going, smoke in their air and we now have a fluffy cat to care for.

Far out, that package from Auckland had a few bits in it!!!

Can't you just cut and shut that backwards facing manifold to make it correct?

Also, looking at those heads there are far more valves than you would be used to. In fact valves haven't been the Viva's strong point so far...

hey Alex, wrt to the variable-length runners, Nissan did this on the VQ30 donks revised for the A33 maxima. It's called the MEVI (middle east variable intake) and uses an RPM sensor triggering an actuator to open a flap. the manifold is plastic. (on the A32 maxima there is no MEVI, and IIRC the MEVI isn't in the A33 in all markets - however it is in the JDM kit)

I wouldn't presume you could add Nissan lego to Mazda Meccanno, but having a read may give you some additional ideas. There's been tons written on the MEVI on www.maximasdownunder.org and www.maximas.org.

cheers

Thanks very much for that info snapper! I'll have a look.

Geoff- great tips..... (see what I did there?....tips....rotary....)

But yeah- just thought this morning I could space the manifold up with some spacers like this fella in new jersey has done to mount the stock manifold 180degrees around in his mx5. The Fraser manifold is low enough hat I can space it up some.

065da050512dffb542f6bbafbd9da1c2.jpg

c1413f55afd0606374d6dba08b086bef.jpg

I shall go to shed soon and check. Then off to the abel Tasman for rest of weekend.

wow very nice score on the parts , if you cant space that manifold up enough i might be keen on it, or even a set of heads if you are going to sell them mine has some pitting in the cam caps and on the heads..

you might be able to just fit another radiator hose filler in the radiator hose and cap the other one off to clear the manifold?

I looked at that but it also hits the cam covers. I'll have another look in the morning- just got back from camping and also fucking about with the Viva after having filled it with petrol that had diesel in it - not likey....mucho smoko and poor running.....

• Like 1