KK's Slamiler

KKtrips

Seeing the Mark Burroughs slam trailer behind his Beemer has made me want to build one for myself so last night I won an auction for this rusty old pig trailer that looks ripe for the flipping..

144130742_full.jpg

I want to carry my camping gear and some tools - currently I have a wag but its a pain in the ass to have prime max relax space taken up by chilly bins and the like - with this bad boy it is easy to move all my junk out of the way rather than half under my car etc and I can chuck a tarp over it at night time and things won't get rained on - it also means I can take luxuries like a BBQ and a hooge chilly bin..

this is a quick plan drawn up last night with totally the wrong program but it gives me some ideas of what I want to do.. - scale: 1 square = 50mm

trailerideas.jpg

FYI - the yellow thing is a big ass tent/marquee I am buying from Unka Jake and the blue thing is a BBQ that sits up on legs out of the floor of the trailer..

In case you have been under a rock - this is the trailer that provided the inspiration..

trailerIA1.jpg

May be a couple weeks till I get any work started on this but I want to have it sorted for a New Years trip or for Wagnats at the absolute latest..

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sick,

I had the same idea so bought one to hax up as well.

dsc09044x.jpg

dsc09040f.jpg

I looked into Duratorque suspension mounted upside down.

I think it would work, not ideal but the trailer will never carry any real weight (like 3 tonne of shingle).

Torjan ever emailed me back on that one.

They also do round guards along with TWL.

Also your tow bar is going to be hella low.

I solved this issue with slamming the car.

You buy a pair and I buy a pair of 14x10's?

You buy a pair and I buy a pair of 14x10's?

Now you torking my langwage Mr Simon..

Though I don't care about an axle running through the middle of my stz especially as duratorques are hella expensive..

I also will step up the height of the coupling to make it level with the towbar of the commy.. goose neck tow hitch FTW..

Nice! I'm interested in this cause trailers are the bomb, second only to utes.

Whats the go with single eye leaf springs upside down like that though? The sensible person in me is saying no for some reason here.

I was going to / will take the spring apart and put it back together in reverse maybe minus a leaf.

Still have heaps of playing to do yet.

The beemer guy just cut the top off the trailer and flipped it upseide down.

Weld top back on and reverse tow hitch.

Bit rangi.

I like were this is heading, I have been thinking of useing the old hydrolastic displacers out of the Allegro my dad was givin to make a car trayler. Still just a dream but this has given me a few more idears. Oh and for wheels-

Dsc_6947.jpg

And a abit off topic but this is so sweet

IMG_0216_7_8_fused1.jpg

Could you not modify it at all and just flip it over???? put the hitch on the underside of where its mounted now and just fit the thing over, will look exactly like the one being dragged by beema provided the top of your tyre is higher than the base of the trailer. would make sence to do this if thats all it takes??? and then just make sides for the underside of the trailer base when up....down...... when its...... get it?

Edit: shit unless i have been under a rock and this is actually the way your intending on doing it. My apologies

don't run a leaf spring upside down.

my reasoning:

You're going to be a target for the feds with a trailer this bangin'. What you probably need to do is jump from loophole to loophole.

Sheries Dad I'm sure will wof you whatever you do but, that doesn't help you when you're on the side of the road with some chump popo rookie straight out of police college who's pissed at you because you're about to crack into a sweet new years otp and he has to work the late shift on new years eve.

I reckon, add a small frame to house the leaf spring next to the wheel. Not only will it make the spring run the right way up, you'll have a much sweeter ride to keep you steinies from bubbling over when you stop, it'll fly through wofs, and you'll not have the spring go wayward and ruin your day when the trailer frame hits the deck in a bad way. the cops can't tell you your suspension isn't up to scratch either.

the next loophole is ride height - get it so it's like 100mm exactly, then you don't have to worry about cops being homos about 'needing cert'. your initial wof on a first reg'd trailer should cover this but again, cops not in the know about rules are everywhere, and you don't need the hassle.

lighting will need to be followed closely. there's a minimum height of lights on trailers i believe.

the frame will also help stop your shit getting sucked into the wheel. bonza!

plus there's always the thing of a flipped spring looking bodgetatic as fuck like that m burroughs trailer. not alot o thought gone into that i wouldn't have thought. all it takes is one good bump for the spring to bend the wrong way and it'll pop out of the slipper. triple pinned shackle type springs are $$$ as these days unless using old cars ones, and those will make it flex like a mofo, leaving you dragging the frame on the ground 90% of the time, which although lol as, will get ollllld quickly.

here's a pic of my idea. the red is the spring. purple being the fabled 'frame' idea.

kkler.jpg

loosely adhere to the light trailer laws and it'll be soooo sweet, and untouchably legit. carry ltnz factsheets with you to bum cops out and a foghorn to be all 'wup whhaarrrrrrrppppp' when they get shot down.

I don't think they are. however, most trailers don't look like they're dodgey/illegal to cops, so you'd never know. mine runs at probably 110mm at it's lowest structural point. doesn't look like it, though. I thik you missed what I was trying to get at though. You want to think of every angle that some dweebspec cop could take if they happen to see you driving down the road like a boss, and think that your traielr shouldn't be on the road.

'too low sir'

'but officer, it's 102.4mm at it's lowest point, what's wrong with that?'

'oh... off you go then'

same with schlammed cars. cops pink sticker cars that are certed below 100mm still. doesn't mean it's right, does it?

as for certing trailers: there's no such thing. you can essentially do what the crap you want, as long as the wof man's happy, and you stay within set max dimensions, and shit like that.

Ah ok. Nah I was picking up what you were laying down, but was also interested on the finer legalities of trailer modifications.

If a cop could actually pink sticker a trailer, would that mean you'd have to trailer your trailer?

xzibit.jpg

Srs question, however...

[edit] It had to exist...

yo%20dawg-480x339.jpg

scratch that,

you need lvvta cert for a trailer that's belwo 100mm. who woulda thought?!!?!? I was wrong. hah.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/facts ... imple.html

not trying to put a damper on you btw, i jus tknow how gay it is to have your shit ruined by the feds.

keen to have something similar tbh/giz yours + magnesium attached to underside