ld28 masters advice please

shizzl

are all ld28s the same/interchangable?

and did they come out turboed?

reason i ask is i was looking at getting a van with an ld28 d-turbo in it....

the guy doesnt know if its a factory turbo or not...

but either the turbo or rings are poked cos it smokes...white-blue(death)..

its a matty b tranny van thats been on tardme, its lol as..

has had disc conversion and ld28 conversion all certed...

im pretty sure the ld28 could handle towing...

or are they just a big sack of poohs?

They were never factory turbo but a turbo is an easy option. (You just use the turbo manifold from an L20ET, shit bolts straight on)

It could handle the towing on it's own but with the turbo, you'll be laughing.

I was talking to a guy with a Bedford Camper. (not a small one, we're talking 20ft+) and he converted his to turbo and said the difference was just mind blowing between that and a standard non-turbo one.

I have a block you could buy if you wanted. I took the crankshaft (use the LD28 crankshaft in the petrol engines as part of a stroker setup) Still has the pistons/rings etc. in it. As far as I know it was all running and working when removed from the Hilux it had been transplanted into but I can't guarantee it.

cheers...

van is in nelson..

i won it on tardhole for $415!!!! haha fukn ha...still has wof, cert etc...

not sure what turbo will be on it though, must be a l20et if its got the manifold ae..

happy happy joy joy...

will head up there next weekend to pick it up with the trailer...

one milllllion psi!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA.....

ill see how she tows and wind it up from there,haha.

just gotta watch the temps...

is it easy enough to wind in some fuel on them?

ive heard of guys playing with the timing aswell to get more power out of bighorns...

im keen but dont want it to be a hand grenade....reliability is key...

Been years and I can't remember why but turbo conversions to the LD used to always melt number 6 piston. Maybe thats why when you see them they always have the black smoke option and completely sooted rear of the vehicle.

I guess I would add fuel first, shouldn't need alot of boost anyway.

They apparently do that when you run the L20ET manifold on them, a mate of mine has a LD28 in a 280Z that he turboed recently using an adaptor thing that I sold him that bolts on to the stock manifold that brings the turbo up.

DSC01673.JPG

He is running 17psi on a T04 and absolutely loves it, it's had the pump tweaked and the timing set by someone here in Christchurch. I've been for a ride in it and it'd be faster than a stock L28.

He was building some sort of frankenstein LD28 with LD20 turbo pistons and pre combustion chambers or something like that.

if the turbo is blown would that cause any other symptoms that i could identify?

like obviously noise

smoke

pressurised crank case? someone told me this is a sure sign the turbo is gone ( never heard that before)

oily water? i woudve thought only with headgasket blowage

anything else...?

how likely could it be for the injector pump belt to jump a tooth?

pretty sure this could also cause white smoke if the timing is out..

guess ill do a process of elimination when i pick it up on friday

cant wait

i doubt it will be a whole tooth out it pretty much run . however a few deg retarded will produce huge amounts of white smoke .

if its sweet at idle but white smoke and missing up higher the advance mech is buggered .

if turbo is gone. rear seal is common to go first. will smoke at idle. or when you take off from idle. as the lack of exhaust pressure will allow oil to go past the stuffed seal, into the exhaust. if front seal is gone will fire oil out into the inlet. if the seals go its prett much down hill from there.. bushes will wear out to the point the exhaust and compressor wheel get enough play to start milling away at the housings. more bad stuff from there on.

those early nissan diesels usually have a small T3 turbo. .30ar exhaust housing and small trim compressor wheel.

blocked or poor breathers will give turbo hard time also. due to excessive crank case pressure.

blocked or poor breathers will give turbo hard time also. due to excessive crank case pressure.

will excessive crank case pressure cause smoke?

and whats a pcv valve thing? i keep hearing that if its blocked itll cause smoke, but never heard of a pcv valve..

yeh. too much crank case pressure will act like a plug on the turbo oil return. so oil will come out the seals, and end up in the exhaust or intake. = smoke, and turbo will junk itself after not too long.

pcv is part of oild breather system. is basicly a 1 way valve that runs from the rocker/cam cover to inlet manifold. so it sucks down on the crank case pressure when theres vacuum in the inlet manifold. but shuts off when the engine is on boost. so the boost pressure doesn't pressurize the crank case. they will also usually have a 2nd breather that runs from the rocker/cam cover, to the air intake pre turbo.

so yeh if the pcv is stuck open. you'l pressurize the crank case when on boost. which usually results in a cloud of smoke when you back off the gas

can also blow oil up past the rings, stem seal etc and cause similar deal