z181200s 1973 Datsun 1200 sedan

AndyGal

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19104

Bought it like this a year or so ago.

4216534631a6249536992l.jpg

Got it going the engine wasnt running got a wof and put some 13 inch hubbies and flappers on

4216534631a7582571513l.jpg

picture043uf6.jpg

Drove round for 6 months with rooted suspension standard brakes and diff. When my wof ran out decided to get it certed for the engine.

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

Upgraded the brakes to bluebird ones, new shocks, disks machined, commodore shocks in the back, vanette shortened diff 4.1 ratio 2 inch blocks, custom driveshaft etc went for cert had a few issues but eventually got it.

Got some new wheels

P1250955.jpg

Got them reconditioned and new tyres

P3261045.jpg

P3261045.jpg

started making a chin spoiler

untitled.jpg

got in on but with the new wheels looked jacked at the front

sa.jpg

dropped the front more got a 2.5 inch exhaust

datsun001-1.jpg

datsun002.jpg

datsun003.jpg

datsun006.jpg

datsun008.jpg

datsun009.jpg

Got some fender mirrors and a jaf badge JDM is king!

16062009001.jpg

16062009.jpg

16062009002.jpg

Thats where is at at the mo. Comments suggestions welcomed in the disscussion forum.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have got some 13 by 6.5 starsharks lined up for it. Just saving up coin for them. Thinking of painting the coloured part pinky red and slapping a pair on the rear just because i can haha. Theres always room for spare wheels.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After moving out of RIVERSIDE because of the last quake, moving in with my parents temporarily with my cars squashed in the garage, then moving into a new flat, building rooms in that. Then having another big quake I have finally started working on my datsun again.

Made some patches for 2 rust holes, and have sanded down the engine bay and masked it up to paint.

P5011555.jpg

This gay from the UK painted some primer and highlights.

P5041556.jpg

Have masked it all up and am still deciding what colour to paint it, Green would obviously look good but im almost keen for a bandit wild colour. Maybe metallic bright red or something?

Suggestions?

P5081557.jpg

More progress engine bay has been painted now. Stuck with green as the places to mask it off were going to look average another colour.

P5121558.jpg

We could quite get the exact colour so its darker but with heaps of pearls and flakeso it looks sweet. Looks shit in the photos much better in person.

I paid the painter 3 sausages and a box off woodstockfor the paint and spraying so im stoked with how its turned out.

Picked up my engine and drove on the rear bumpstops to the flat.

P5131559.jpg

Spent today putting the engine and box in everythings going to plan so far.

Cam covers are off to get stripped for paint, the red was flaking off all over the show.

P5141561.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been doing a few wee things, got all the suspension back in properly, hooking up fuel lines heater hoses, and have made sure the radiator and intercooler fit nicely.

They do but its pretty tight. Have to get some bonnet pins as the intercooler sits in the space where the bonnet catch uesd to go through.

I was thinking of getting them anyway as I dont want the bonnet to fly up with its new found speed.

P6051643.jpg

P6051642.jpg

• 5 months later...

Dan lodge and I have been very busy the last few weekends,

Fired her up today!! Started nicely but was ran on 3 untill we swapped the coils round and it ran on 4.

Is cutting out at 2500rpm which is the ecu signalling that there is a fault. Going to try another AFM and ignighter to try locate the problem.

Got to shorten my driveshalf and get the wee tab/bolt that holds the speedo into the gearbox. Anyone got one?

And a few other things before I can attempt to drive it.

But super stoked with progress and a big thanks to Dan for his help I would be lost without him through this part of the build!

Got the driveshaft in , brakes bled, and put a new clutch master cylinder in as the old one was corroded.

Cleared out the garage and drove it outside. Was making a funny noise, but with bubblejews and dan1200ss help we found the problem, the bearings are gone in the water pump.

So have to fix that before I can attempt do do much else.

Didnt stop a test drive though, Goes good, really good!/ 3rd gear wheel spin in the dry with a locky good.

I AM PINING!

Heres what my running engine looks like, Need to get the intercooler piping tidied up and my BOV put in put its works at the moment.

PB191724.jpg

Interior shot you can see my boost gauge where the factory clock was, and oil pressure gauge, still looking for a small period tacho.

PB191725.jpg

My flatmate put my spare renegade boot lid on also, looks pretty hillarious in person.

PB191723.jpg

So very pleased with progress, and just have to get the water pump fixed before I try and get it on the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wrote a huge post but computer decides to go back on its own and wiped it.

This will be brief now.

The noise it was making wasn't the waterpump but the wrong size key in the crank. Simon from Surfab tigged the slot up and saved my bacon there.

Thanks to Pete for helping me with the machanics, New cambelt, water pump tensioners,and seals.

Cheers to Brocky, John and D.p.n.s for the parts I needed.

Dan came and finished the wiring today legend!

Running nicely but its quite smokey at idle? Valve stem seals, turbo?

Heres some pics, finally out of the garage again. Need bonnet pins to close the bonnet properly.

2011-10-05183240.jpg

2011-10-05183350.jpg

• 1 month later...

It was overheating going up hills and slowly in traffic, so I spent ages trying to get a radiator that would fit, I bought a new alloy one from up north and then got given a silvia one that fits perfectly. So sent the alloy one back which was good.

It took a long time to get everything in nicely as there is next to no room!

2011-11-29145935.jpg

Also took my locky out and was going to change the ratio to a 3.7 but it was going to be too much work so il just wait untill I get an LSD from japan and do it then. So that was a waste of time but I got some skinned knuckles and made a mess for my time.

Drove up the hills today to test the new radiator, shes all good and took a photo for the piners!

2011-11-29140304.jpg

• 2 weeks later...