My Isuzu TX Gemini Sedan

cute wee gem

Stripped it down and re-did some panel work as I wasn't happy with my previous attempt. It's currently in guide coat and have re-painted the engine bay, with some added gold/blue pearl. I scratched the shit out of it where I've taken the dizzy/cas out a few times, but I might just find a sticker to put over the scratches :lol:

dscf6276.jpg

Painted boot. It's not show quality, but a lot better than it was

dscf6280q.jpg

Installed fuel setup, using a trademe surge tank, NOS Bosch 070 (VL turbo pump) and ran a new 8mm fuel line to the front, using the standard line as a return. Still need to wire it up and change the lift pump from 6v to 12v

dscf6355h.jpg

Also pulled out the front subframe and replaced a bottom arm due to hitting a massive unavoidable rock @ 100k but pics are boring

New clutch from Autoclutch, 2100lbs pressure plate with carbon kevlar disc

dscf6339p.jpg

Played around with the MS2 some (fixing my fuck ups)

dscf6346s.jpg

Started some wiring in the engine bay. The thermostat housing you see here is one I made out of scrap alloy and a couple of old housings (couldn't find a standard one due to being a Jap import, NZ new are all carby and have a completely different housing)

dscf6349j.jpg

dscf6348.jpg

Edit: Windscreen is fucked hence overspray :wink:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been busy on this over the last week, it's now starting properly and everything works as it should (almost), just finished sorting out the ECU to trigger the electric fan via a relay, thought I'd take a video while I was there.

It revs high at idle because the crappy old auxiliary air valve doesn't close all the way (crude ISCV)

Video

• 3 months later...

So I've been working pretty hard on this since the last update, but have got no pictures of the progress.

Painted it, which was a complete fuck up and now looks terrible (my fault for experimenting/not knowing what I was doing with pearls over base) the panel work is a million times better though.

Made an exhaust, a full 2.5" mandrel bent system with a coby at the back

Got it legal, and have been driving the shit out of it.

Completely re-did my timing and fuel tables and it's starting to run pretty good now

+ A million other bits n bobs, driveshaft loop etc

Need to fix a rather annoying oil leak which doesn't look easy to get to, the exhaust also has an annoying rattle, the panhard rod needs a quick adjustment, and the front brakes need a skim.

img08351.jpg

img0849jt.jpg

img0857m.jpg

img0874qv.jpg

Managed to get this on Julian Cheers' last day before the holidays, phew! (Thanks to the Torana springs taking 2 weeks to get here, luckily they arrived and I got them in the night before)

img0836sa.jpg

Took a trip to the beach for a spot of fishing. Resulting in a broken sail line losing 10 hooks, the sail and only pulled up one scummy red cod, gutted! Car ran well though except the pile of stones on the front crossmember and a little guard rub due to the extra weight

img0877vr.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Turbo melted the paint on my bonnet, so I got a beanie for it. Here's an out of focus photo.

img0898cp.jpg

img0900lo.jpg

Keen to get the cam ground to let this thing breathe properly, as it runs out of puff soon after it hits full boost. 450cc injectors are only at 65% duty cycle so there's room for more boost as well.

I'm also in the midst of making some DIY knock control so I can give it some more timing without killing the pistons, keeping in mind it's all I've got to get me to work!

• 2 months later...
Guest cute wee gem

Fuck.

dscf6518it.jpg

Rusty shit in #2 and #3 are from the broken water jacket, I just cleaned up #4 to see if there was any detonation, which there wasn't. If you look closely you can see a munted piece of oil control ring from #1 that went back into the intake plenum and then into #2

dscf6507f.jpg

Could still spin the big end on the crank, so the bearing was fine

dscf6511s.jpg

Looks serious..

dscf6504z.jpg

Head's toast too.

dscf6509v.jpg

First thing I did was check the datalog and the tune was perfect right to the point of destruction, pistons and plugs showed no signs of detonation. So I pulled the engine out to find 2 of the remaining pistons were quite hard to rock on the gudgeon pins, and the ends of the pins had started to turn blue from heat, so I checked the little oil squirters on the rods and nothing was blocked on all 4 so my guess is the machine shop who pressed the pins in are to blame? Unfortunately the shop has closed down..

dscf6521d.jpg

To add insult to injury I found this while pulling the engine to bits.

dscf6516n.jpg

Hundreds of little cracks almost the whole way around the flywheel.. I guess I'm lucky the engine went before this thing did!

dscf6517z.jpg

Ran mint every day since December and did thousands of KMs in that time, so I'm pretty gutted at this point. I don't think the Rodeo flywheel will fit my clutch, and another will be almost impossible to find (probably have to find one in Aus), I do however have a spare block, crank and head - although without hours spent on porting.

Shit.

Discussion

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16637&start=80