My Isuzu TX Gemini Sedan

cute wee gem

Here's the car that will be replacing the white TE Gemini. The aim is to get a reliable, fun, but tidy and sweet looking car for daily use. So a major body overhaul is to be done first thing. Engine options may come later, as for now it will get the G200Z from the TE

Few bad pictures of the day after I got it. Previous owner tried painting it pink :?

dscf3904es3.jpg

dscf3905qx6.jpg

dscf3910of1.jpg

dscf3907zp7.jpg

Very straight body work with a few issues underneath, nothing major though.

dscf3979nn1.jpg

dscf3980yo0.jpg

I'll grab a few photo's tomorrow of progress.

Fixed some rust in the door.

dscf3981dx6.jpg

Sandblasted underneath passenger guard.

dscf4027rm3.jpg

Best shit ever.

dscf4032ok7.jpg

This is how it looks when cleaned off and dried, the gold look is the zinc phosphate.

dscf4042jj9.jpg

Fixed rust in passenger sill, then applied por15 and primed.

dscf4050zn5.jpg

dscf4058jc6.jpg

Bit of panel work on the passenger front door and guard. Holes for mirror welded up.

dscf4031ds9.jpg

Rust in sills and inner guards all cut out and welded up. etch primed and chassis blacked.

dscf4131qv4.jpg

dscf4139hn3.jpg

Just waiting on more sandblasting material then engine bay will be stripped and etch primed (my daily got pink stickered so need a ride to town) :cry:

Will carry on with body work tomorrow and might start masking it up.

Had a pretty good day today, sandblasted all under chassis rails and most of engine bay then por15'd and primed. and also patched up where some body sealer had flew off from sandblaster and all around the fuse box cover thinga ma bob where it had rusted.

dscf4175en3.jpg

dscf4178kj5.jpg

dscf4170oy2.jpg

Primed up bare metal spots and body work. passenger side is 80% done

dscf4179gy0.jpg

Looks like it may be painted before I go back to work! (13th) :D

Roof took about 5 minutes as it only had a few little dings. Most of the drivers side is done minus rear door and front guard.

dscf4183hm5.jpg

Sandblasted patches of rust in the boot and blah blah blah.

dscf4198tj7.jpg

Should have the whole car masked up ready to be primed tomorrow, might get my paint mixed up too. Then its block sand block sand block sand.

Front valance needs a little attention and also rust in front guards need doing before primer.

Last few days I've worked pretty hardcore on the gem getting everything sweet, even finishing up at 10:30 last night for a 10-11 hour day

Trying to get rid of all the rust I can find, even sandblasted the underside of front guards where they had surface rust and tidied them up a bit. Had to weld in decent size patches in the lower front guards.

dscf4199qm0.jpg

Sealed up and put guards back on yesterday, then did more body work on them as well as front and rear valances. Few boring pics..

dscf4205az9.jpg

dscf4201ie9.jpg

Spent half a day doing tedious sanding on the door jambs and inside of doors, masking up etc. Then primed

dscf4212jq8.jpg

This afternoon I set out to pull the engine and gearbox from the TE as I need a car for work. Need to pull the pedal box out as the TX's one has been robbed (they started using the TX as a parts car, luckily got it before they stole the mint bumpers and ruined it even more)

dscf4207jj2.jpg

It's now out and on the engine stand ready for a quick clean up. Tomorrow I'll start block sanding and hopefully get it in its last primer coat by the end of the day. (was hoping to get it painted tomorrow but decided not to rush things..)

Well I ended up spending the weekend away but spent about 10 hours on it today and will hopefully be fully painted one day after work this week (back to work tomorrow ftl)

With a last minute decision I decided not to dye/paint all the interior black and am using the light blue stuff from the TE as it suits the final colour I reckon it'll look sweet. I'll just dye the carpets black.

dscf4234jw3.jpg

dscf4231gv4.jpg

Started masking up for the black window surrounds, same as stock paint but a lot better (the factory can't make a straight line for shit) I'm also going to add a light blue pinstrip to break up any waviness in the masking to match the interior and blue pearl :D

dscf4228kk0.jpg

Here's how she looked at about 9 tonight.

dscf4243um8.jpg

Just a couple of patches to quickly sand as well as all door jambs then it's ready to paint. I have painted the engine bay, under side of bonnet, boot jambs and underside of boot today but haven't got any decent pics as they're blurry. Colour is silver with a very mild blue pearl.

• 2 weeks later...

Well she's all warranted now :D

Still needs a cut and polish, pinstripes, wheels spacers and various other things to do. Probably won't happen for a while now as I'd rather just be driving it 8)

Went with early V8 Commodore springs in the rear which have a better spring rate than the king springs, I want to upgrade to LC-LJ Torana springs up front also. TXs don't have a factory swaybar in the rear but it has a far snappier turn-in compared to the TE which suits my driving style a bit better, surprised with how well the 165's cope as well.

dscf4360nc0.jpg

dscf4356iy0.jpg

dscf4358yn6.jpg

dscf4357ag6.jpg

• 3 months later...

Plans changed, going to be running a fairly standard 4zc1-t now instead of the g200z. The swap won't be till I get a new daily driver as I'll need to take it off the road to do the swap. :(

:D

dscf4528.jpg

Engine is from a turbo Piazza, and will most likely be running fairly standard boost from the tiny little IHI turbo for the mean time, atleast.

dscf4527x.jpg

Started stripping it down over the last week or so and started some port matching and a general tidy up of the casting marks and valve seats. Some photo's are a bit average, forgot to take some of it complete :|

dscf4458.jpg

dscf4454.jpg

dscf4464.jpg

Here's one of the inlet ports 90% done.

dscf4509o.jpg

Scribed the exhaust ports and exhaust manifold then matched, still got a bit left to do on the exhaust side.

dscf4499.jpg

dscf4502.jpg

Degreased and painted, bottom end all looks fine. It has had the big ends done at some stage as the bearings are .25 over size. Took a while to find a full gasket kit in NZ.

dscf4520n.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ordered new pistons last night, $240 for 1mm oversize pistons and rings, should hopefully take it to engine builders on Friday to have them bore/hone, lighten flywheel, skim block & head.

Might order a MLS gasket from Aus too.

Bit of a mock up, engine's going to sit lower on land rover mounts (probably) just need to mod sump slightly as it fouls steering rack. No other cutting even for dizzy/heater fan as bringing it lower makes everything clear. Just need to relocate drivers side heater hose as it comes out right behind the dizzy.

dscf4910q.jpg

Getting argon bottle next week and will start fiddling with exhaust manifold ;D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...