keltik's RN46 Hilux.

johnnyfive

As promised. A few more daylight pictures now that the forums back up.

UNI_0734.jpg

UNI_0736.jpg

UNI_0733.jpg

UNI_0737.jpg

UNI_0739.jpg

UNI_0741.jpg

UNI_0740.jpg

UNI_0742.jpg

UNI_0748.jpg

Theres one or two things I will have to tidy up, but all in all I'm really happy, its awesome.

First things, tidy up the one or two (seriously) bubbles of rust, get an aerial for the stereo (big FUCK OFF whippy one?), get another LH mirror, stop oil leaks, some kind of tuneup... Get top spot lights going/MORE SPOTLIGHTS

Disscussion here foo's

//oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15676

Ok. So far its still all working out goood.

One problem, just minor

UNI_0749.jpg

So it looks like I need a longer board. It is possible to ride up, but a bit sketchy with that angle....

And one or four random pictures.

UNI_0753.jpg

UNI_0751.jpg

UNI_0752.jpg

UNI_0750.jpg

I'm also looking for opinions on where I should be mounting aerials. I think I will only have one at this stage, maybe two if I pick up a CB. And sometime in the future I think I'll put two more spotlights on the bumper.

So aerial on the centre of rollbar? Or one either side?

So I went to see about getting the old brown bench rebuilt and was offered a replacement seat out of a later hilux for a fraction of the price. Looks a little out of place, kinda like the deck, but is in pretty sweeeet condition, so it'll do for now.

Old benchy

UNI_0756.jpg

New!

UNI_0757.jpg

Also, I think one of the oil leaks is from the fuelpump. So tracking down a new one of those.

And will maybe next pay week will purchase a large whippy aerial.

• 10 months later...

So Not a lots been changin' here.

Have stopped using the GSR and Brumby, they're both tucked away in a barn for now.

So this had to get some treatment to make it nice/wof.

Replaced the 21R-U with a 21R

Don't have any pictures of it, but the 21R-U had a mid sump and it was all mangled from the diff, Ooops.

21R out of a Celica thing, has front sump, not in perfect position, but better.

Replaced front shocks, were leaking and fuct, also far too long and lame. Turns out the front has taller leaves in it I think, as every listed pair of front shocks I was supplied with was about 2" too short at full droop. What a nightmare, I work in the trade and it still took our retarded supplier FOUR pairs of shocks to get it right, and after all that, they weren't even yellow!?!

Replaced the steering damper, it was just two bits of steel clunking together, looked pretty orig, now parking is worse than ever, and I still feel fairly succeptable to loosing my thumbs off-road...

Muffler had split down the seams (throwing hot steel at my legs) from all the 21r-u's shitty running and backfiring.

So now its a sideout. Small dia but was paranoid about it being the loud as fuck and having no performance to back it up.

Removed carpet, still getting round to tracking down water leak in cab. Meh.

Plumbed heater back in, heater core doesn't leak..... Can't work out why it was disconnected but ok!

and found the lid on the overflow bottle was on backwards.... Which explains why I could never keep any coolant in it, fuck I was pissed off I didn't think to check it, never assume anything....

Oh and got a pair of used tyres from Si and Co.

Clearance is a little close between the airfilter housing and the clutch/brake etc, but meh.

UNI_1034.jpg

UNI_1032.jpg

UNI_1033.jpg

UNI_1035.jpg

UNI_1036.jpg

UNI_1038.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mr Land-Transports list of things to be done;

* Fix rot around cab mounts

* Replace front left brake hose

* Fix exhaust leak

My list of things to be done;

* Replace voltage regulator or alternator or both

* Weld up a couple of rust holes

* Find rear LSD

* Replace front CV's

Just needs the rust sorted for a wof now. Should have that sorted by next week :D

Righty-ho, so the cab mount rust has been mostly done, new brake hose is sorted and the exhaust is sweet. Got a wof and now this thing is legal as a 16yr old.

Voltage regulator still doesnt want to charge in the mornings, it usually takes about 4km down the road from my house before the charge light goes out. This morning however, it didnt go out not even when i got to work 10km away. By which time the stereo had given up trying to run on 10v and it was missing like a bitch. Cunt of a thing.

Luckily, JohnnyB dropped me another regulator he had lying around. I also had a regulator from my Subaru sitting on my desk and close examination of the wiring discovered i 'could' use the Subaru one but it was going to be a headache. The spare one John dropped off has exactly the same wiring colors and is also from a Toyota - just has a round plug instead of square. So i am now doing some soldering to wham the square plug where i need it and i'll be able to see if this thing will charge properly.

Up until now its only had 12v when running. Will be interesting to see what 14.4v feels like. I anticipate wheelspin erry'whur

• 1 month later...

Little update here to keep the thread current;

New voltage reg made it run a bit better and charge better but the shitty running returned.

Turns out the fuse box contacts were corroded to hell, so as soon as i sorted that out - all the running issues came right.

Fast forward 2500km and its starting to deveiop a minor miss/hesitation coming on throttle. Also my wagon will be finished soon so im probably going to sell this thing on at the end of summer. If anyone could be keen, let me know in advance. Wont be asking much since i know it does need a bit of work.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked valve clearances today, all were within spec except one exhaust was a little loose and one intake a little tight. Got it all squared away.

Next mission is to refit the electronic distributor. So does anyone know what wires go where on the ignition module? One is black and obviously ground, one is power - it has a ballast resistor on it so im assuming just goes to 12v, one goes to the distributor and the final lead is green and i dont know what it does. Any help muchly appreciated.