kpr's kp60

kpr

discussion thread:

picked it up a few years back. as an unfinished project, had a 20v 4age sitting in the engine bay, a pile of parts in the back, and looking pretty rough. heres what it looked like after i picked it up: 

03240016.jpg

after closer inspection , turns out the 20v was rooted. so it was binned and replace with a 16valve smallport:

Pic_0013r.jpg

at the same time the engine mounts were redone and gearbox mounted. then a hilux diff, sourced from a local car dump, was modified and installed along with ae92 brakes. king springs and shorter kyb shocks, went in the front. the rear got shortened stock shocks and some cut nissan sunny front springs. 2" stainless exhaust was made from 2nd hand stainless complemets of fonterra. the coby extractors were choped up, and modified with old exhausts from the car dump. made into a much better 4-2-1 set. along the way when i could be assed, some of the rust was fixed.

Pic_00004.jpg

this is where the project slowed right down, since panel work sucks. but with car running and driveable it. various panels missing and doors that wouldnt shut. it made for some amusing late night country road driving. 2 seats a steering wheel and an engine was enough.

Pic_0245r.jpg

finally after a few years pissing around and bitching at the bro to paint it, it had a new coat of paint:

Pic_0009r.jpg

the plan was to finish putting to together, then go for a cert. till i decided it needed some quad throttles. deciding to do something a bit diffrent, a varible runner setup was made. along with fiberglass duct/airbox, new radiator installed, stock ecu was replace with a lem g3, and tuned:

Pic_001133r.jpg

car was booked in for a cert, but cert guy canceled. at the same time i wasnt too happy with the suspension setup. so had yet another stupid idea to do a coil over setup front and maybe rear. front setup was first, along with choped up ep82 camber plates and some rca's:

Pic_0006r.jpg

with that complete. i currently have some 100mm holes, cut in place of the original rear shock mounts, and some 100mm tube sitting in place for the rear setup, more to come.. :

Pic_0015r.jpg

Picture2002r.jpg

• Haha 1

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

rear supsension is finished, handles way better than the old setup.

Pic_0011q.jpg

Pic_0015q.jpg

trimed some holes in the air duct and put the strut bar back on.

Pic_0018q.jpg

another pic of the variable runner setup. in the high rpm stage. the link switchs them at 5500rpm. they are powered by a kp windscreen wiper motor.

Pic_0023q.jpg

low

Pic_0020q.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

the 4a had a blowen headgasket, couldnt help myself and done some back yard headwork while head was off. removed the material shelding the valves and made a raduis down to the vavles insted of the step (not showen in the pic) dunno if it made it faster or slower.

Pic_00044a.jpg

thinking about buying some new rims, since the ones on there are pretty rough. threw the 16's off my other car on, to see what width and offset is going to fit. actually look alright but want some 15's

Pic_0002gbhjn.jpg

• 2 months later...

been awhile since i updated this.

first up i got a supra lsd from spencer (cheers boe) to replace the hilux one. witch wasnt much better than an open diff. fitted it into a 4.3 open diff i had, i machined the ends of the diff down to fit the open diff bearings. then figured out later i could have just used the standard bearings, the lsd version head uses. but first option was cheaper and faster anyway. next problem was the supra lsd had a slightly different offset, so the backlash couldnt be adjusted enough, as the adjuster bottomed out. machining the first few threads off the adjuster fixed the problem tho.

can see in the pic the adjuster sticks out quite far, other side is the opisite. but still enough threads in there to be all good.

Pic_0018diff.jpg

after almost a whole weekend pissing around installing it, i was pretty gutted to find it was almost as bad as the hilux lsd. turns out it was basicly the same as hilux one inside. maybe just the preload spring was stronger. didnt have the apart at the same time to compare. defintly no ramps tho.

because one wheel skids suck, i spent some more cash and got a modified hilux one, with ramps and shit in it. mean- well worth the money

modified vs supra

supravsraes.jpg

got me a ae86 quaife quick rack. some slight modifcations and now its 2 turns lock to lock insted of over three. steering is a little heavy, but it drives like a gokart.

Pic_0006qiuckrack.jpg

still waiting for my new rims to arrive, should be here in a few weeks hopefully

has nearly passed cert, just need clean wof and driveshaft to be sorted.

• 1 month later...

has cert, wof and reg!

going back to a single throttle intake, mostly due to all the crap going thru the motor. rather than trying to find an over priced smallport inlet. im making a custom one. shouldnt loose much power over the quads.

mid part of the runners. tapered for velocity:

Pic_0006s.jpg

more progress tomorrow,.

• 4 weeks later...

new intake had a nasty vibartion problem i couldnt fix. so quads ftw

shit since im trying to resist the urge to turbo it, but could do with a bit more power:

Pic_0001cams.jpg

crusty ones are the orginal smallport cams vs kelford billets. currently has bluetop cams.

• 4 months later...

had to make a few changes to make the work's fit. changed back to 4x 114.3. as i had changed to 4x100 and fwd offset, because it was cheap way to do brake upgardes and make hilux diff fit at the time.

front hubs swaped back to standard. new pug rotors and bracket made for caliper:

Pic_0008.jpg

Pic_0007.jpg

Pic_0005.jpg

diff needed to be shortend 15mm each side. was going to biff some rn25 axles in and shorten case more. but couldnt find any at the time. so had a go at shortening some myself:

Pic_0001ax.jpg

Pic_0005ax.jpg

Pic_0004ax.jpg

Pic_0007ax.jpg

PIC_0012ax1.jpg

^ that shits hard, to hard to machine. so made this to get thru the case hardening

Pic_0011ax.jpg

case shortening, plus redone the 4 link mounting points to move the diff back a little and add some adjustment

Pic_0003df.jpg

rear brakes are, s13 rotors and the same ae92 calipers that was on it before, plus new brackets made.

remade the exhaust today as the old one was 20mm from the ground! after lowering more and the 195/45 tyres.

PIC_0014kps.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

PIC_0002a.jpg

diff mods seem to have worked as it was getting good traction off the line.

had thoughts of putting a turbo on it, but think i'll just rebuild it. maybe with some higher comp pistons. current engine is getting a bit tired

• 3 weeks later...

started on new extractors. current ones are 4-2-1 and tuned to lower/midrange. so don't work so great with the cam's. plus they are a bit hagard. progress so far:

PIC_0009ext.jpg

PIC_0005ext.jpg

gonna also slide the engine accross 10mm or so, to the exhaust side, before i start mocking them up on car. witch will gain me some more room for airfilter / intake. easy the way the engine is mounted.

• 4 weeks later...

finally got some time to do a little more on extractors. theres no room under car. so runners go forward and loop back under to gain some length. trying to keep everything even as possible.

PIC_0003ext.jpg

PIC_0002ext.jpg

took it around puke last weekend. was pretty hilarious in the rain.