#1 Jebus

Jebus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

Widening wheels, what is there to it?

Steels, can ya just buy a pair of steel rims off say your mums subaru, get them widened to like 8"jj shove some 165's on? Or more to it? How much does it cost roughly???

Any ideas on price/ease of widening alloy wheels.

Tell me all.
Blink

#2 WDE_BDY

WDE_BDY

Committed

• Members
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

DELETED

#3 Jebus

Jebus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

Oh ok, any idea on the cost of a blank rim in a good width?
Blink

#4 mikuni

mikuni

Bradkuni

• Moderators
  • 10,152 posts
  • Local Area:
    Waikato

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

I'm sussing some out at the moment my friend so I can tell you all. Firstly phone numbers of helpful people:

Steelie Gears: 09 276 6297 (Auckland)
Elite Wheels: 03 339 0900 (Christchurch)
TWl: 07 847 7294 (Hamilton, but they are nation wide)
TRS: 0508 899 899 (Wanganui)
HPC: 09 267 1007
Arrow Wheels: 0800 fuck knows.. (Auckland, city of being ripped off :P )

Steelie Gears will not widen steels as such. It is illegal and hasn't been done for years according to them. They will only put your centres into centreless rims, which can be purchased from the likes of TWL or TRS, who stock agricultural rims. If you talk nicely to TRS they will supply you with some ROH? style american rims that are not quite so agricultural but will try charge the earth (around $130, where ag ones from TWL are about $70).

Centreless rims can also be sourced from Elite wheels in chch. While we are on the subject, Elite wheels are perfectly happy to widen steels. This can be done for only $50 a wheel infact, making it feasible to frieght them all the way down there! I'm not sure on the finished product from these chaps, but I'm sure it will be good.

Elite wheels made lofreqs boso style custom wheels for him also and those were less than a grand from memory.

Arrow wheels also do widening I think but I haven't talked to them because I heard they were stupidly pricey, so perhaps you could check that out and get back to me if its not too bad.

HPC in Auckland will prep and coat a wheel for $74+gst each. If you want to colours (which I do) the price sky rockets to double that :cry:

If you want a chrome rim you can get that done before hand but it is pricey. The other thing I am looking at is buying some existing rims (that are chrome and happen to be modjays!!!) and ripping out the centres and putting my stando chevette ones in... now thats commitment, right?

Powder coating is also another cheap and good quality option. I was quoted $16 per wheel to have this done, but they needed to be sand blasted before hand so I opted to just get them blasted and painted by the same crowd. This perhaps wasn't the best option as the paint is arse and chips off to reveal pink etch underneath, then when that chips the steel rusts. Nice...

#5 WDE_BDY

WDE_BDY

Committed

• Members
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

DELETED

#6 Dolan

Dolan

SS-Son

• Members
  • 17,398 posts
  • LocationGOOBY PLS
  • Local Area:
    Outside NZ

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

Yuh i can source through TWL. 13x7, and 14/15x8 = max biggest to the extreme etc. stocks of 13s are dismal ATM though.

They're the ROH branded ag rims. good as you'll get.

#7 lowlancer

lowlancer

Committed

• Members
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

Depends on type of steel centres you use and whether you remove the centres yourself

I got quoted $80 a wheel to have the sigma centres removed. This involved blowing out the spot welds, cutting the rim, then pressing the centre out. This was for a sigma steel, which are cunts to do vs most normal steels

Would cost around $50 a wheel to get centres welded in and balanced. As a side note, you can only use those blank steel rims you sold me round one way, as the "lip" on one side is too small to have a valve put in.

Also, you have to make sure the centres you want in are within 1-2 mm of the diameter, otherwise no one will touch them.

I had a real good cunt quote me, spent a good hour with him explaining what I wanted.

Looking at around $200-$600 depending on how much you do yourself and how good a cunt the guy is.

Can be a real cunt depending on how much dish you want (I wanted fucking heaps) and the type of centre you use (I used cunty ones)

/repost

#8 Jebus

Jebus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

Meeannn....Cheers for all that info and #'s Mikuni and Callum, awesome.

So were looking at say

$150 + Postage for Centerless Rims
$40 max for a pair of rims with good centers
$100-200 to cut old centers out and weld in to centerless rims

$300 - $400 for a pair of rims, before any coating. hhmmmm...

Or $50 + freight to widen normal steels.

Then coating is another story.

Edit: Just rang Arrow, they dont have any centerless rims, they send thier wheels to Elite to be widened, but will cut old centers out and reweld into blanks for about $150 depending on how the old on is fixed in(really rough price without seeing the rims)

To me it sounds like widening stock is the go, then coating/painting how ever you desire.
Blink

#9 Snoozin

Snoozin

Loves Timaru

• Members
  • 13,402 posts
  • Local Area:
    Auckland

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

HPC coating like Nige's = definitely the way to go I reckon

1981 Toyota Starlet|Discussion

1987 Porsche 944

#10 lowlancer

lowlancer

Committed

• Members
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

Agree. Look badass. I say post up pics and a poll for style of centres mang

#11 WDE_BDY

WDE_BDY

Committed

• Members
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

DELETED

#12 Jebus

Jebus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

Just enough :) most steels are 5.5" or there abouts.

Sending to Elite might be the go, ill look at the tyre shop today or tomorrow.
Blink

#13 mikuni

mikuni

Bradkuni

• Moderators
  • 10,152 posts
  • Local Area:
    Waikato

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Actually most places insist that welding steel wheels in any way is illegal so I looked into it and there are certain restrictions on sections that can be welded in. I think its about 35mm for up to 8 inch and 77mm for over 8 inch or something along those lines. Either way, mine are illegal and yours will be too if you get 3 inch sections welded in. Most places say "1 piece rims" with welded centres are legal, but in saying that, steelie gears will be happy to weld 2 rims that have been cut into 2/3 (roughly) each together, to get you a wider wheel than the maximum 15x8 (if that makes sense).

I'm looking at getting centres removed in Hamilton and sending the rims away to elite to be widened.

Eliot, can you let me know who you were going to use to remove and reweld the centres etc?

#14 thminiman

thminiman

Committed

• Members
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

chevvette was ringing another cunt about it today

should be cheap i think,

i thaught steelie gears was expensive when i got somestuff done a while ago

#15 Seedy Al

Seedy Al

The No Neds

• Members
  • 11,547 posts
  • LocationSlut Valley
  • Local Area:
    Wellington

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

so you can or cant ad 3 inches?

Because if you can, trhen a set of 14x8 blanks with an extra 3 inch would be so wicked, 14x11, and what ever off set.......
Allan
Strokers Strokers punch em in the face........

#16 WDE_BDY

WDE_BDY

Committed

• Members
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:29 PM

DELETED

#17 thminiman

thminiman

Committed

• Members
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

yuh, from what i understand of the law is that its legal, if done by a certified welder with evidence, proof of wheel running true is available, and max of 3 inches added

#18 mikuni

mikuni

Bradkuni

• Moderators
  • 10,152 posts
  • Local Area:
    Waikato

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

http://www.lvvta.org...heels&Tyres.pdf

2.3 (3) Steel wheel widening

A steel wheel fitted to a low volume vehicle may be widened, provided that:

© the amount by which the wheel is widened is not more than:

(i) in the case of a wheel having a diameter of 10 inches or less, 51mm; or

(ii) in the case of a wheel having a diameter of more than 10 inches, 76mm;

and the widening is carried out by a good cunt :wink: etc

#19 Bullitt

Bullitt

Committed

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

I'm not sure on the finished product from these chaps, but I'm sure it will be good.

:lol:

#20 mikuni

mikuni

Bradkuni

• Moderators
  • 10,152 posts
  • Local Area:
    Waikato

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

rofl, badly worded.. but come on man, thats just being picky! :lol:

while we're picking at people, pete.. where did you get that information from up there? ^ about the 3 inches and tracking true and shit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users